Tuesday, August 14, 2007

NJM Insurance - Getting Cancelled

August 14, 2007 - This is somewhat off topic for RentLaw.com, but here it goes.

My auto insurance policy has been cancelled by New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company (NJM). Yes, I bounced a check, but I also assumed my automatic payment would be accepted.

I have been a GOOD customer of NJM since 1994. Time flies. So for 13 years they loved me. I paid, never had a claim - until 2005. That year, my licence plate hit the rear of a new Rav4. $536 in damage. Not bad.

Also in 2005, my wife decided to rear end another car in her s500. NO damage to the other car. Not even a claim filed by the other driver. However. that 5 MPH hit in a $95,000 car cost over $8,000 to repair.

Lastly, in 2005, I went 12 miles over the speed limit - 37 in a 25.

Shoot me.

I paid late. I pay late.

I was 4 days past my cancellation date notice before I remembered to call.

So I call NJM to get reinstated or find out why they didn't take my automatic payment.

I asked to get reinstated.

They made it sound like I was the worst person in the world.

We sent you letters.

You should be responsible.

You do not qualify for NJM.

BUT, they will let me go into NJM Reinsurance - at 3 times the rate (10,700 yr vs $3400 per yr). Funny.

For 13 years I WAS good.

I also added my daughter to my policy at age 17.

Now, after 13 years of paying them (3 times late), I am a BIG risk.

I was told to go find a broker to handle my needs.

I did.

Back over to ALLSTATE, the new ALLSTATE where I began driving some 30 years ago.

My next step is to take my homeowners policy from NJM and place it with ALLSTATE.

The moral is to be responsible. Don't ignore late notices, pay your bills on time (auto debit) and always shop for rates and, more importantly, SERVICE.

Customer Service.

That goes along way.

Not, hey, we have 700,000 policyholders, you think we have to call?

I'd would of been happy with a call from overseas telling me my policy is past due.

No comments: